Our training is split into six units:
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Planning gym-based exercise
- Instructing gym-based exercise
Your first course materials will be sent to you when you enrol. You can then start straight away and progress through the training when and where you wish, with support from experienced tutors by phone and email. You will also be able to complete a selection of assignments throughout your course that you can then submit for tutor feedback.
To achieve the qualification, you will need to successfully complete a portfolio and recorded practical sessions of you instructing a client.
To successfully complete this course, you will need to:
- Complete assessments at the end of each unit to create a portfolio.
- Submit recorded practical training sessions (for example, in DVD format) of your planning and instructing a client, and demonstrating the required competences to organise fitness instructing programmes. A qualified person will need to be present during the training session.
Please click here
for NCFE registration fees.
To help you succeed with your training, you will receive:
- A comprehensive course manual that you can complete at your own pace
- Tutor marked assignments with constructive feedback
- Support from experienced tutors
- Access to our dedicated student support team
- Eligibility for an NUS Extra card
This course can take from just 8 weeks to complete1.
You are able to start this course when you want and continue training at your own pace.
1 Timescales are approximate and depend upon application and motivation. Selecting the instalment payment method may mean the course is spread over more weeks. The total qualification time is expected to be 230 hours.
Successfully complete this course and you will:
- Achieve the NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym-Based Exercise) qualification
- Be able to join CIMSPA
You can contact our experienced tutors by phone and email during your training to have your questions answered and further develop your knowledge of fitness instructing.
You will also receive tutor feedback on the assignments that you submit.
Regular exercise is vital to our health and wellbeing. Adults are advised to complete 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity every week1.
As a fitness instructor, you will be able to plan, deliver and evaluate safe and effective fitness instruction sessions through gym-based exercise. You can do this through3:
- Fitness assessments, consultations and introduction sessions for new clients
- Demonstrating activities for clients to follow
- Showing clients how to use exercise machines and free weights properly
- Supervising clients to make sure that they are exercising safely and effectively
You can earn money from your enjoyment of health and fitness, and meet and work with interesting people.
When you have successfully completed this course:
- You could work for a gym or become a freelance fitness instructor, providing fitness instruction sessions through gym-based exercise.
- You will be able to join CIMSPA
CIMSPA membership recognises your professional status, helps you achieve your career ambitions and gives you a range of additional benefits5.
- You will have the prerequisite qualification for enrolling on our course that leads to the NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training qualification.
You do not need previous knowledge or experience to enrol on this course.
You will need to be aged 16 or older.
You will also need to be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
Enrol now from £42
There are 5 ways you can enrol on this course:
- Pay the total course fee of
£395 £315* in one sum and receive a Free NUS/Totum card
- Pay a deposit of just £42*, followed by 7 instalments of £39 - total you pay
* Please click
for Level 2
NCFE registration fees.
Enrol on both our NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing and NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training courses at the same time and save £245.
There are 3 ways to enrol:
- Pay the total course fees of
£990 £745* in one sum and receive a Free NUS/Totum card. Plus, you can also get a CPD course worth £195 - free**
- Pay a deposit of just £43*, followed by 18 instalments of £39 - total you pay
- Pay a deposit of just £43*, followed by 24 instalments of £29.25*** using Interest Free Credit - total you pay
£990 £745* (exclusively available by calling us on 01409 220 793)
* Please click
for Level 2
, or click
for Level 3
NCFE registration fees.
** Free CPD course is only available when you enrol on both the Level 2 and Level 3 courses at the same time and choose to pay in one sum (not deposit and instalments). You will be able to select your free CPD course after you enrol on the Level 2 and Level 3 courses at the same time. To start the CPD course, you will need to successfully complete the NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training.
*** This enrolment option has limited availability, and may be withdrawn at any time and without notice. You can enrol on our Level 2 and Level 3 courses at the same time with a deposit of £43 then 24 monthly instalments of £29.25. 2 courses must be undertaken by the one enrolled student. Other terms and conditions apply. Please call us for details.